Rosacea is said to affect 45 million people worldwide. The inflammation of capillaries and pilosebaceous units, erythema, telangiectasia (dilated capillaries), flushing skin, pustules, itching and Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH) are frequently associated with skin redness disarrangements. ll these effects are mainly located in the central third of the face.
• Chronic skin redness disorder with visible capillaries that can also turn the skin dull.
• It typically affects individuals with pale skin and especially women over 30s.
• Its etilogy is uncertain but several factors can induce it (strong emotions, spicy food, sport practise, alcohol,…).
In the natural response of the immune system to potential harmful agents and conditions, kallikreins and antimicrobial compounds like cathelicidins have an important role. They induce the release of interleukines (IL), which are among the increased molecules in facial skin redness and vascular alterations. In skin disorders with erythema and dilated blood vessels, like rosacea, LL-37 expression is found to be abnormally high, it is locally activated and a cascade of inflammatory reactions leads to an increase of pro-inflammatory metabolites, IL-6 and IL-8 among others. The dermal connective tissue may be damaged as the proteolytic degradation of the extracellular matrix (ECM), mainly of collagen, is increased due to Matrix Metalloproteinases (MMPs) activation. Therefore, red areas become more visible as capillaries are fragile and permeable, and blood vessels can easily dilate due to inflammation. Tetrapeptide peptide helps to decrease facial redness and other skin disorders caused by LL-37 activation and subsequent release of ILs. It also provides a photoprotective effect lowering cell damage and skin inflammation negative effects.
• Lowers LL-37-mediated IL-6 and IL-8 release: IL-6 levels decreased by 24.2% and IL-8, by 22.8% with Tetrapeptides at 0.5mg/ml.
• Connective tissue degradation is reduced by Tetrapeptides that demonstrated a statistically significant inhibitory effect on collagenase activity.
• Erythema, redness and extent intensity are reduced by Tetrapeptides.
• Skin roughness diminished as well, by 7.5% at the end of the treatment.